Sandeep Dikshit quit OC ‘months ago’ | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Sandeep Dikshit quit OC ‘months ago’

delhi Updated: Oct 23, 2010 01:13 IST
Sandeep Dikshit

Sandeep Dikshit, the Congress MP from East Delhi and son of chief minister Sheila Dikshit, had quit the Common-wealth Games Organising Committee earlier this year. The fact came to light recently during investigations into the alleged irregularities by the OC.

The member of Parliament, in whose constituency the controversial Games Village was constructed, confirmed he left the OC long before it was surrounded by controversies.

“Yes, I had resigned from the OC many months back and there is nothing secretive about it. I don’t even remember the date now,” Sandeep told HT.

He said there was no particular reason behind his decision. “I just felt there was no use in being a useless appendage, as no work was assigned to me,” he explained.

Sandeep, however, claimed he was not aware whether OC chairman, and his party colleague in the Lok Sabha, Suresh Kalmadi accepted his resignation or not.

“I did not receive any communication to suggest that my resignation was rejected. I think I was put in the baton’s committee. I came to know later that somebody else had been put in my place,” he said, adding he did not recall if he attended any OC meeting.

The revelation showed that differences between Kalmadi and the Delhi government existed much before Sheila Dikshit and Kalmadi clashed after the sporting event ended.

Delhi government and the OC repeatedly blamed each other for the shortcomings in the run-up to the Games, and also during the 12-day event.