Satyawati suicide: What drove Amir over the edge? | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Satyawati suicide: What drove Amir over the edge?

delhi Updated: Feb 04, 2011 23:38 IST
Jatin Anand
Jatin Anand
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Was it the frustration of a relationship that had reached a dead end or the ire of his pregnant lover’s family that drove Mohammad Amir Malik Ahmed to hang himself from a ceiling fan on Friday afternoon?

These were the questions that 21-year-old Amir’s incensed family demanded answers to after seeing their second eldest son hanging from a ceiling fan at the college which, he had promised them, was supposed to make his family’s dreams come true.

“He left for his classes around 8 am, like he used to everyday. I made all the sacrifices I could to first put him through school and then through college, sacrifices he knew and couldn’t have discredited by killing himself; even for a girl he loved,” said Mohammad Nazeer Ahmed, Amir’s father, who owns a small dairy in northeast Delhi’s Kachchi Khajuri area.

Amir’s family claimed he was murdered by his girlfriend’s family and friends before being hung from the ceiling fan to make it look like a suicide.

“They have been after his life since the day their daughter left their house to be with Amir. They didn’t leave any stone unturned; they went to the police in two districts, sent him threatening messages and when all came to naught — they took his life and tried to make a mockery of him by pinning it on his own head,” said a broken Nazeer.

The second eldest son in a family with seven children — four boys and three girls — his family blamed the fickle mind of his lover for his death.

“He did all he could for the girl; when she asked him to take her away, he did. When he asked him to save her from her family, he did so. He even took on the police who harassed him. And now it’s the same woman’ family that has dealt the final blow,” said Dr Anees Ahmed, 25, Amir’s elder brother.

Police said they were verifying all of Amir’s family’s claims.

“We are in sympathy with the family. In fact, it is only because of their request that their son’s body be left untouched till they reach the spot, that it was left undisturbed but not unattended till evening. We have sent the body for post mortem examination. The report will ascertain whether the incident is suicidal or homicidal,” said Karnal Singh, JCP (northern range).