Chief minister Sheila Dikshit has put on hold, with immediate effect, the re-opening of Savitri Cinema complex in south Delhi. Dikshit has also asked the municipal commissioner to look at the project again, if needed.
"The company was given a no objection certificate in 2002. The traffic situation has changed drastically since then. I have asked the municipal commissioner to stop the project and look at it again. If the need be, I will have a meeting with traffic police, MCD officials and residents in this regard," Dikshit told HT.
Residents of Greater Kailash II and surrounding areas met the CM and the municipal commissioner on Thursday informing them about the objections they have against the project.
"The complex, which has been constructed by DLF, doesn't have adequate parking space. It will lead to traffic chaos in the area, which is already facing parking crunch. The chief minister assured us that the project will be re-assessed," said Ashok Bagga, president of GK II welfare association.
On Monday, the residents of GK Part II and adjoining areas had organised a candle light march in protest.
The MCD, meanwhile, has assured that it will look into the project once again.
"They have created space for merely 70-odd vehicles which in no way will fulfil the requirement," said Chetan Sharma, chairman Federation of GK II complex RWA.
A DLF spokesperson declined to comment saying they are unaware of the CM's statement.