Finally, there is a ray of hope for corporate honchos and politicians lodged in the Tihar jail for months in the 2G spectrum scam. The Supreme Court on Tuesday issued a notice to the CBI on the bail pleas of Unitech Wireless' managing director Sanjay Chandra and Swan Telecom director Vinod Goenka.
A bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi directed the agency to respond within two weeks. Chandra and Goenka have challenged the Delhi high court verdict rejecting their bail pleas.
The CBI had named Chandra and Goenka in its first chargesheet and accused both of cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy. The agency has alleged both Unitech Wireless and DB Realty promoted Swan Telecom were ineligible for the 2G spectrum. In its second chargesheet, the CBI has alleged that a bribe of R200 crore was transferred from DB Realty, of which Goenka was the managing director, to DMK-run Kalaignar TV.
Both Chandra and Goenka were arrested by the CBI on April 20 and are currently lodged in Tihar jail along with other 12 accused, including DMK MP Kanimozhi.
Chandra, in his plea, said he had been in jail for 108 days and the CBI had told the special court that the probe with regard to allegations against him and 16 other co-accused was complete. He further claimed there was no evidence of any money trial bribing the former telecom minister A Raja.
He also said he had cooperated with the CBI and there was no fear of his tampering with evidence. Goenka said he was a shareholder and one of the directors of Swan Telecom along with another accused in the case Shahid Usman Balwa and was not involved in day-to-day affairs of telecom business.
“This conduct (of naming him as accused) is highly discriminatory and arbitrary as identically placed persons in case of Unitech and Kalaignar TV have not been made an accused,” Goenka said.