The Directorate of Education (DoE) has again issued a fresh notice to schools regarding nursery admissions under the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) category. Schools, which had not conducted the draw of lots meant for the admission of students belonging to the category before January 31 have been asked to conduct the lottery.
Schools such as Springdales, DPS, Laxman Public School, etc, had already conducted the draw of lots before January 31, so the education department has permitted them to proceed with the admission process.
“There is a fresh DoE notice for schools, which have not conducted the draw of lots for children belonging to EWS category, and not for institutes that have already completed the procedure. Members of the National Progressive Schools Council had met the education minister and he had given us the go-ahead to conduct the admission for EWS kids as had been done for the general category,’ said Ameeta Wattal, principal, Springdales School (Pusa Road).
Schools also claimed that the lottery, which had been conducted, followed the specifications of the high court’s decision, ruling out any room for conducting the lottery again. “We had conducted the draw of lots long back and admission has been provided to the selected students. We will not conduct the lottery again as we have abided by the rules specified by the Delhi HC,” said MI Hussain, principal, DPS, Mathura Road.
Schools like Bal Bharti Public School (Pitampura) and Ahlcon International School have, for the time being, deferred the lottery for EWS category. However, parents claim that schools that have already conducted the lottery could turn around the fresh guidelines of the DoE to suit their convenience.
“The confusion about the lottery conducted before January 31 has not been clarified through this DoE circular and it may be misused by unaided schools,” said Sumit Vohra, founder, www.admissionsnursery.com.