Security guard charred to death in Defence colony | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Security guard charred to death in Defence colony

delhi Updated: Dec 30, 2011 01:46 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 35-year-old security guard was charred to death after the room he was sleeping in caught fire due to short circuit in a heater inside his room. The incident took place at around 10.30 pm on Wednesday at C block in south Delhi's Defence Colony, the police said.

The deceased has been identified as Rakesh Kumar. "After receiving the PCR call, a police team along with one fire tender reached the spot and doused the blaze. The victim was identified through an ID card recovered from inside the room," said a police officer.

"It seems that Kumar failed to come out of the room on time and got charred. The exact reason of his death could be ascertained only with the post mortem examination report," the officer added.

Kumar lived with his wife and brother Sanjay in Madangir area. He hailed from Etah in Uttar Pradesh and worked as a security guard at a construction site adjacent to his room, the police said.

In another incident, a fire broke out in a godown with wooden items in Sangam Vihar area of south Delhi late on Wednesday night. The police suspect the fire broke out due to short-circuit.