Senior officials questioned over MoD official’s death | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Senior officials questioned over MoD official’s death

delhi Updated: Apr 01, 2012 23:27 IST
HT Correspondent

Amid allegations of harassment by his seniors at the Ministry of Defence, police on Sunday questioned three officers of additional director general rank in connection with the mysterious death of 43-year-old bureaucrat Yashkar Sinha in his official flat.

Sinha, a deputy director with the Directorate General of Medical Services, was found charred to death in the kitchen while his wife Archana Sinha was lying on the floor in the bedroom with a severe head injury at their government flat in south Delhi’s Hudco Place on Friday. She also died.

Two officers, whose names were written on a note the police recovered from Sinha’s house, along with another one were questioned on Sunday. Sources said Sinha was tense ever since he was asked to look after the RTI cell of the ministry, as he had to scan sensitive documents.

“A note along with a diary was recovered from Sinha’s house when we searched it. It was not a suicide note but Sinha had mentioned the names of his colleagues. We called his seniors to know whether there was any work-related pressure on him,” a senior police officer, who did not want to be named, said.

Police seized some other documents from Sinha’s house, which could prove crucial during investigation. Sinha’s cousin confirmed he had talked about work pressure when he had gone to Patna in February.

“He had come to Patna in February along with his wife. During a conversation, he had mentioned that he was assigned a job to look after RTI pleas and had to deal with sensitive letters. He looked tense while mentioning all this but he did not reveal anything beyond that. He was a tough person and cannot commit suicide for sure,” said his cousin and childhood friend Diwakar Tejaswi.

Denying any problem in Sinha’s marital life, Tejaswi said there was no rift and both had spoken to their relatives a few hours before their bodies were found. “Sinha’s mother is in Delhi and scheduled to return on Monday. He had spoken to his sister in Lucknow to inform her about the return ticket. Archana had also spoken to her sister so there is no question of problem. They were even planning to have a child,” he added.

Apart from this, police were also examining the phone details of Yashkar to find out whether he had received any suspicious calls.

The couple’s friends and relatives said they fell in love and got married seven years ago. They met when Yashkar started taking harmonium lessons from Archana’s father Amarnath Sharma.