Sharma not regretful; sent to Dasna jail | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sharma not regretful; sent to Dasna jail

delhi Updated: Jan 26, 2011 23:58 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Utsav Sharma, the man who attacked Dr Rajesh Talwar inside Ghaziabad court premise on Tuesday morning, was sent for 14-day judicial custody on Wednesday by a Ghaziabad court.

Sharma, arrested on Tuesday, was charged under section 307 (attempt to murder) of IPC and also booked under 7 Criminal Law Amendment Act by the Uttar Pradesh police and presently lodged at Dasna district prison.

Sharma had attacked Talwar with a meat cleaver which resulted in major injuries over his face and hands. Talwar had come to Ghaziabad court for a hearing over CBI closure report submitted by the agency in connection with Aarushi-Hemraj murder case.

Before leaving for Ghaziabad court on Wednesday morning from Kavi Nagar police station, a seemingly soft-spoken Sharma told reporters that he was “emotionally weak” after seeing such high profile cases reaching no conclusion.

“I don’t regret the attack,” he said. “You people see what is going on in the case (Aarushi-Hemraj murder case). There will be no justice. The closure report has been filed and nothing will be done. Law is taking its own course and you all are seeing this,” Sharma told mediapersons.

Asked what he thinks of himself after the assault, he replied, “I am not bothered about myself.”

Replying to question why he attacked Talwar, Sharma replied: “Talwar is wrong in the case. The attack on Talwar should be termed as my witness in the case. The case will go on like it was going on for 20 years in Ruchika Girhotra’s case.”

Sharma said that he was suffering from ‘bipolar disorder,’ a claim, which Ghaziabad police officials refuted on Tuesday.

When asked if he would repeat the same act, Sharma nodded his head and declined to speak and was pushed into a police jeep.

A meritorious student, Sharma completed his graduation in fine arts with a gold-medal from Banaras Hindu University (BHU) and later joined National Institute of Design (NID) at Ahmedabad to pursue PG diploma in animation and film design.

Mother refutes UP police claims

Utsav Sharma’s mother, Indira Sharma — a psychiatrist and professor at the Institute of Medical Sciences at BHU told HT, over phone, that her son had no intention to kill Talwar and Ghaziabad police are not the best judge of his son’s mental state.

“He just wanted to insult him (Talwar). Police should not treat him like a criminal. He should be given treatment as he was suffering from bipolar disorder for past four years and was on medication. SSP Ghaziabad cannot judge his conditions. We have his treatment papers with us,” she added, saying her family was thinking of administering some alternate therapies for her son’s treatment as “there had been a relapse of the incident.”

Sharma had previously attacked former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore in almost a similar fashion in February, 2010.

Dasna jail superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma told HT that the accused was placed under doctor’s supervision at jail hospital. “This had to be done as he was showing some different behaviour and not answering questions properly about his name, address etc.” he said.