She wanted to get married but got killed | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

She wanted to get married but got killed

delhi Updated: Jun 12, 2010 00:36 IST
HT Correspondent

Ravi Mishra (25) was confident he would not be caught for murdering girlfriend Monica Jaiswal. In fact, he was so confident that he not only called his girlfriend’s parents to tell them she wasn’t taking any calls, he even went to receive them on Friday morning when they came to the city from Kanpur, worried about their daughter.

The police said that if everything had fallen into place, then 22-year-old Monica would have been married to Ravi at a court in Kanpur.

Monica's father, Ravinder Kumar Jaiswal, a railway official said: "They were supposed to get married six months ago. At that time, Ravi backed out saying he was not financially ready to support her. He also told us that he would try and convince his parents for the marriage. We agreed, thinking that everything would be for the best."

According to the police, even after three years of relationship, Ravi did not want to marry Monica because of family pressure. The police said that he is from Dhanbad, Jharkhand.

Suspicion arose about Ravi when the police found a small but vital information from a witness, a local launderer. The man, who passed by Monica's house on Tuesday night, gave the police their significant clue. Sunder Kumar, who runs a laundry shop in the area, said: "I told the police that on Tuesday night I saw the woman crying when I was passing by her house around 10.30 p.m."

The police then checked the victim's call log and found out she was talking with Ravi. Later, the police procured the dumb data (list of calls generating from that area) for Wednesday night and found Ravi was present in F1 Madangir at the time of the murder.

According to police, Ravi and Monica met three years ago at a call centre.

"Monica then shifted to IBM Daksh and Ravi found a job with Hewitt. The victim's parents wanted them to get married soon. But Ravi had problems with this and was constantly avoiding the issue," said a senior police officer on the condition of anonymity, as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

The police said that Ravi went to the one-room flat in F1 Madangir, where Monica live, on Wednesday night with the intention to kill her.

After he killed her, Ravi locked the door and called up her parents, the police said.

"Ravi told them he had been calling her constantly and she was not picking up her phone," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Southeast) Virender Singh Chahal.

On Friday morning, Ravi went to pick her parents and then to Monica's flat. Then they broke open the door and found her dead.