Communications minister Kapil Sibal is likely to meet internet and social-media companies, bloggers and other content producers in Delhi on Thursday over the ongoing controversy on screening web content.
According to the minister, his officials have met representatives of the sites as many as six times since September but the companies have not come up with any solution till now.
The internet world was in an uproar last week after a news report said that Sibal had asked social networking sites like Facebook and Google, which operate the social video platform YouTube, to censor content which was offensive to religious sentiments and degrading some individuals. In eye of cyber storm, Sibal says web rules soon
"It was not my intent ever to interfere with the social media. I wanted them to evolve their own guidelines. But if somebody throws up their hands we will have to evolve some guidelines," Sibal had said.
As the controversy raged, Google had said there was a need to differentiate between what is controversial and what is illegal, adding that anything that went against statute was removed by their team, including content that went against their strict terms and conditions. Facebook issues statement
"But it also means that when content is legal but controversial, we don't remove it because people's differing views should be respected, so long as they are legal," a Google spokesperson had said in a statement.