A new prison complex is set to open next month in the city, around 35 years after the Delhi government proposed to construct a jail and ease the woes of the packed to capacity Tihar jail.
The Mandoli jail, which will open in second week of November, will provide respite to officials in Tihar and Rohini jail, who currently manage 14,469 prisoners against the sanctioned strength of 6,250.
The current prison population in Delhi is the highest to date, officials said. Prison officers said because of the over population of prisoners, the prisoner to guard ratio today is 1:15. The ideal prisoner to guard ratio is 1:3 .
Tihar Jail officials say they have to manage more than twice the capacity of the prison and it becomes difficult for them to monitor and protect every prisoner. Jail riots often break out in Tihar, one of Asia’s largest prison complexes.
Prison officials said that the Mandoli jail has a capacity of 3,777 inmates. The prison complex was expected to be finished by 2010. However, the construction was completed last month only. Jail officers have started the recruitment for the new jail.
DELHI GETS NEW PRISONThe new jail will help reduce burden on Tihar and Rohini prisons
- To be built on the outskirts of Delhi in Nand Nagri, near the Delhi- UP Border.
- Nearest Metro station is Dilshad Garden (red line -Dilshad Garden-Rithala)
- Spread over an area of 68 acres, the Mandoli jail can accommodate 3,777 prisoners
- Delhi police will also buy 10-12 prison vans by the end of this year, to transfer prisoners to courts
- One separate jail will be there for women inmates.