Managing director of Unitech group Sanjay Chandra, who along with four other corporate honchos is in jail in connection with 2G scam, claimed in the Delhi high court that the first-come-first-serve (FCFS) policy was backed by the Prime Minister.
"So far as the formulation of policy is concerned, I am not the operative cause and the operative cause (for the FCFS policy) is the head of the government," senior lawyer Ram Jethmalani, appearing for Chandra, told the court.
The petition on which the CBI probe was ordered by the Supreme Court on the issue had alleged that instead of following the policy of auction, the DoT went ahead with the FCFS based on the 2001 price.
Citing from the speeches of the PM in Parliament and in a public function, Jethmalani said the head of the government had endorsed the FCFS policy for the grant of UAS licences.
Besides Chandra, Swan Telecom director Vinod Goenka and three top officials of Reliance ADA Group Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair are in jail after their bail plea was dismissed by the special court on April 20.
Giving a new spin to the 2G scam, Chandra on April 21 said he was neither the MD nor the director of the Unitech Wireless which had applied for telecom licences in 2007.
"I was neither a MD nor a director nor a shareholder in the Unitech Wireless... Infact, I was the MD of the Unitech Ltd which was not even named as accused", Chandra said.