Stray bullet from licensed gun hit boy | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Stray bullet from licensed gun hit boy

delhi Updated: Feb 07, 2012 01:00 IST
Karn Pratap Singh

The east Delhi Police seems to have unraveled the mystery over the stray bullet that hit an 11-year-old boy on Thursday evening. The forensic report has revealed that the bullet was of .315 bore and probably fired from a licensed rifle.

An investigation has revealed the bullet was probably fired in the air before it bounced off a flat surface, deflected and found its way inside the child's skull, a senior investigating officer said.

“We have reasons to believe that the bullet was not fired with an intention to kill the boy. Someone probably had fired the bullet in the air from a licensed rifle.

The bullet could have changed its path after hitting a flat surface. We are making a list of people who have licensed rifles with them. Their weapons will be forensically examined to ascertain the source of the bullet,” said the officer, adding the boy is recuperating well in the private hospital.

Nakul Bhargava, a Class 5 student of Nav Nirman Public School, was outside Sai Baba temple near his house in east Delhi's Jagatpuri with his friends when the stray bullet hit his head.

While doctors at Hedgewar hospital sent him home after just stitching up his wound, a CT-scan at a private nursing home detected the bullet.

Nakul's life was saved after an hour-long surgery was conducted more than 24 hours after the bullet hit him and was lodged inside it.

Investigators picked up two youths for questioning after Nakul's family suspected their involvement in the matter. They were, however, let off after it was learnt that they were in Punjab on that day.

Sunil Bhargava, Nakul's father, had told police that his family members and some other parents bashed up one of the two youths after he beat up Nakul and his friends over a minor issue. This incident had taken place outside the Sai Baba temple around two weeks ago, police said.