Officials and striking students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) finally came close to sharing a platform for negotiation during the meeting of the standing committee on admission on Tuesday afternoon. However, all this happened not before the 11-day-old hunger strike had taken a toll on one of the student's health.
JNU Students' Union (JNUSU) President Sandeep Singh was admitted to Safdarjung Hospital on late Monday night after he complained of acute stomach pain. Singh was discharged on Tuesday afternoon and is no longer on strike. JNUSU Joint Secretary Mobeen Alam and student Vismay Basu are still on strike.
Admission to Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) under different quotas this year, especially Other Backward Castes (OBC) category, has been in the spotlight ever since few of its students started an indefinite hunger strike against the "faulty implementation of quota rules" on August 10. This, allege students, has led to seats falling vacant.
The meeting, however, came as some relief to students as they managed to wring out a few decisions in their favour. "Earlier we had said that the OBC reservation policy of the university was arbitrary, vague and not subjected to wider debate. The administration has agreed to provide us their admission policy in writing and set up a committee to look into the OBC admission this year," said Meera Viswanathan, a JNUSU counselate.
University officials on the other hand felt that they had successfully been able to clear misconceptions and clear their stand on the issue. "We reviewed the entire admission procedure and showed that the total intake of OBC, SC, ST and physically handicapped students was in fact just the same as last year.