Students protesting tardy probe into friend’s death ‘threatened’ | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Students protesting tardy probe into friend’s death ‘threatened’

delhi Updated: Mar 03, 2012 00:17 IST
Mallica Joshi
Mallica Joshi
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The death of Sumit, an M Phil student at Delhi University’s Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, still remains shrouded in mystery even as students protesting the manner in which the case is being investigated on Friday alleged that unidentified people had been threatening them.

Utsav Kumar, a student who was leading the hunger strike, went into hiding for two days after armed people allegedly threatened him on the Arts Faculty premises on Wednesday.

“He was alone in the college on Wednesday afternoon when two people came and threatened to kill him if he continued with the strike and agitation. He called his mother and told her about the threats before switching off his phone. Other protesters have also been complaining of getting threatening phone calls,” said Rajan Sandeep, a student at the Department of Buddhist Studies who has been part of the agitation since the beginning.

While Utsav came out of hiding late Friday evening, he did not speak to the media.

His parents, however, will reach the city from Bhagalpur on Saturday and are mulling a police complaint.

Many other protestors have also started to distance themselves from the issue, students say.

“We called a meeting on Thursday and out of the 10 regular participants only two attended. The threats have affected everyone,” said Dwi Sung Han, a student at the Department of Buddhist Studies.

Sumit first disappeared from PG Men’s hostel in DU in October. His body was reportedly found hanging from a tree in December in the Bonta Park, DU. While police initially expected it to be a case of suicide, Sumit’s friends and family suspect foul play since the first post-mortem report said he had been gagged and bound before he was hung. Despite the family’s claims, the police were yet to file a FIR and are awaiting Sumit’s second autopsy report to ascertain the cause of death.

The university authorities, meanwhile, maintained that it was a matter to be handled by the police.

“While the whole matter is very unfortunate, we cannot do anything. The police are investigating and if they ask us for any help we are ready to cooperate fully,” said a senior university official on condition of anonymity.