Students return to colleges to avail the 'lost' chance | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Students return to colleges to avail the 'lost' chance

delhi Updated: Jun 22, 2011 23:55 IST
Mallica Joshi
Mallica Joshi
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Many Delhi University colleges are in a conundrum. After the declaration of the second cut-off list, colleges are getting students who had actually made it to the first list but did not turn up for admission.

While the university does not have a clear policy for such cases, most colleges agree it is unfair to admit such students unless it's a case of emergency.

At Miranda House, the college administration does not allow such students to take admission unless they do not have a genuine problem. "The rules are the same for everyone. Unless, there is a genuine problem, we will not admit such students," said Pratibha Jolly, principal of Miranda House.

At Lady Shri Ram College, the number of such students has gone up this year. "Last year, we had only one such student. This year we got around eight students," said Ujjaini Ray, media coordinator, LSR.

The college has asked these students to submit applications citing the reason for not taking admission in the first list. "If we have seats left after the admission under the second list closes, only then will we admit them," Ray added.

The college authorities also feel that this problem has cropped up because of lack of application forms this year. "Students are finding it easier to go from one college to another as all options are open to them," Ray said.

In Hansraj College, too, many such cases were seen. "We have also had such cases where students have come back to take admission under the second list after withdrawing from the first list. While most other colleges are sending these students back, we are letting them take admission," said VK Kawatra, pincipal, Hansraj College.