Suspended Joint Director General of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee T S Darbari was summoned by Enforcement Directorate for questioning on Monday.
Darbari on Saturday has sought to clear his name from being associated with charges of financial impropriety regarding an event in London, saying he was not involved in any way in selecting the vendors.
Raising the matter pertaining to hiring of cars, video walls and other equipment during the Queen's Baton Relay function in London October 29 last year, Darbari also sought the nod for legal action against the media from the chief executive (CEO) of the Organising Committee.
"A vicious, malafide, motivated media campaign has been launched targeting me personally for certain alleged acts of financial impropriety in connection with the Queen's Baton Relay launch event organised in London," said his letter to Jarnail Singh.
"I take this opportunity to place on record certain material facts which would show that I have not been a party to any of the alleged acts of omission or commission," said the letter, a copy of which was obtained by IANS, along with 11 pages of annexures.
The letter makes the following points regarding the event that was attended by the Queen of England and President Pratibha Patil, among other dignitaries:
- He was not a signatory to any decision taken for hiring of cars, video boards and other items for the event from M/S AM Car and Van Hire and M/S/ AM Films
- The entire matter relating to engagement of vendors, passing of bills and release of payments was handled by a committee constituted for the purpose
- The committee comprised three joint director generals: M Jeychandren for finance and accounts, Sanjay Mohindroo for marketing and Sudhir Verma for communications
- The e-mail in which the name of M/S AM Car and Van was purportedly recommended by the high commission in London was not sent to him directly, but forwarded by Mahindroo.
Darbari, Mohindroo and Jeychandren were suspended by the Organising Committee Thursday, while treasurer Anil Khanna resigned after allegations that his son's firm secured the contract to lay synthetic courts at a tennis stadium here, earmarked for the Games.
(With IANS inputs)