Talwars file petition in Allahabad high court | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Talwars file petition in Allahabad high court

delhi Updated: Feb 21, 2011 23:59 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Parents of murdered teenager Aarushi Talwar moved the Allahabad High Court on Monday in a revision against the February 9 orders issued by a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special judicial magistrate (SJM) at Ghaziabad.

The matter is likely to come up for hearing before the high court on Wednesday.

Talwars' lawyer Rebecca John confirmed that a revision petition was filed on Monday through senior lawyer Gopal Swaroop Chaturvedi.

Speaking to Hindustan Times from Allahabad, Chaturvedi said that a revision was filed at the High Court challenging the 9 February orders of the CBI SJM.

"We have challenged the previous orders and have maintained for a further investigation into the case. We maintain that the move for the case closure was wrong as the CBI had started on scientific investigations previously, but left it in between and hurriedly filed a closure-report," Chaturvedi said.

In her 9 February orders, CBI magistrate Priti Singh had taken the cognisance of the CBI's final report and had ordered the issue of summons against Dr Rajesh Talwar and Dr Nupur Talwar under sections 302 (murder), 201 (destruction of evidence) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of IPC in the twin-murder case.

The CBI SJM had also ordered the Talwar-couple to be present on 28 February at the Ghaziabad court for a possible trial in the case.

Fourteen-year-old Aarushi Talwar was found murdered at her Jalvayu Vihar residence in Noida on the morning of 16 May, 2008, and the body of Talwars' domestic help Hemraj Banjade was recovered from their flat's terrace on 17 May, 2008.

After nearly two and half years of investigations, the CBI filed a final-report in the mysterious double murder case on 29 December, 2010, and sought closure of the case from the Ghaziabad court before pointing suspicion on the dentist couple.

After several hearings over the final report, the SJM rejected the conclusions drawn in the CBI's final report, took cognisance and ordered issue of summons against Dr Rajesh Talwar and Dr Nupur Talwar in the twin-murder case. The Talwars could not be contacted after repeated attempts.