Tech surveillance led cops to Tihar inmate in UP | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Tech surveillance led cops to Tihar inmate in UP

delhi Updated: Jul 02, 2015 00:30 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Tihar jail


Javed, the undertrial who escaped from Tihar jail last week, was brought to Delhi late on Wednesday night. He was arrested from his native village in UP by a team of officials from Tihar and the Hari Nagar police.

According to sources, the Delhi police will seek his custody to interrogate him and establish the sequence of events of his escape.
Javed told the investigators that he had planned the escape well in advance. He reportedly had even informed his family members living in Ghonda about the escape.

According to sources, after escaping from Tihar, Javed went to ISBT Kashmiri Gate where he met eight of his family members. “His wife, his sister, brother-in-law, mother and step father had come to receive him at ISBT. From the state terminal, they all boarded a bus to Ghonda. After reaching Ghonda, Javed’s brother-in-law and sister left for Etawah, their native place,” police said.

The police received a breakthrough in the case after they put the mobile number of Javed’s brother-in-law Rahul on technical surveillance. Since Javed was constantly in touch with Rahul from the time he escaped from jail, the police could track the location and nabbed Javed from Ghonda.

“Rahul’s phone was put on surveillance and after his location was traced to Etawah, a police team reached there to make enquiries. Rahul was detained in Etawah and questioned. He disclosed that he had helped Javed reach Ghonda. He told us that he, along with other family members, dropped Javed to Ghonda and then returned to Etawah. He was then taken to Ghonda with the police team and asked to show the location where Javed was hiding. On his instance, the arrest was made,” sources said.

The police suspect that Javed was using a telephone inside Tihar to plan the escape since all his family members were aware of it. The family even knew the time when he would reach ISBT Kashmiri Gate.

Jail officers said that they had asked the PWD to remove all the debris that has accumulated near the walls. The debris had reached a height of at least 4-5 feet and had helped the duo in scaling the wall.

“The base of the 18-feet wall is about three-and-a-half feet high and two feet thick. We cannot increase its thickness as the wall will fall down. We are only looking at the condition of the walls with the PWD,” said a jail officer.