Terror attack scare at Saket court complex after hoax bomb threat | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Terror attack scare at Saket court complex after hoax bomb threat

delhi Updated: Aug 21, 2015 00:56 IST
HT Correspondent

Days after Delhi Police received an email threatening a bomb attack at the Supreme Court, security personnel at the Saket district court went into a tizzy on Thursday after a hoax ‘bomb threat’ that led to panic among lawyers and rescue agencies.

On Thursday afternoon, people present inside the court building were startled after a blast-like sound was heard from the premises. Within minutes, two fire tenders and police vans rushed to the spot and sealed the basement only to find out that the sound was caused by a firecracker.

“We received a call at 1245PM of a bomb threat in the Saket court. However, when we reached there we realised that someone had set alight a firecracker in the basement. The closed basement amplified the sound of the blast and created fear of a terror attack among people. Our team deputed officials around the court for the entire afternoon,” said a senior official of the Delhi Fire Services.

According to the police, some lawyers and other court staff had heard an explosion from the basement of the lawyer’s chambers’ building near gate number one. Eyewitnesses told the police that a few lawyers claimed to have heard the explosion while other fled the court complex, escalating the fears of a terror attack.

Deputy commissioner of police (South), Prem Nath, said a ‘sutli bomb’ had been burst at the stairs in the basement parking. No case has been registered.

“When I heard that there was a blast, I immediately went down to the lawyers’ parking lot where it happened. There was no panic and I didn’t see anyone hurt, I didn’t feel scared and thought it was all a rumour,” Renu, a court employee, told HT.

Manoj, another court employee, said: “I’ve also heard from other people that there is apparently an explosion here, but I haven’t seen anything or heard any blasts. If there was something serious, we would have been evacuated but were not.”

The local police, special cell team and those from the bomb squad also reached the spot. Police initially cordoned the area but later termed the incident as a mischief.

The police later recovered the remains of a firecracker commonly known as a sutli bomb.