Taking serious note of the dastardly attack on Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Tuesday the incident would have serious repercussions.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said the priority for the world body was the safety of the Sri Lankan cricketers.
"We note with dismay and regret the events of this morning in Lahore and we condemn this attack without reservation. There will be serious repercussions out of it and we will take some serious decisions on it," said Lorgat.
Lorgat had last month raised serious doubts about Pakistan's ability to be a co-host for the 2011 World Cup with India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
On Tuesday, at least six Sri Lankan cricketers including captain Mahela Jayawaredene, his deputy Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera, Tharanga Paranavitana and Chaminda Vaas were injured when the team bus came under heavy attack from gunmen enroute to the Gaddafi Stadium for the ongoing second Test match.
Five escorting policemen were killed in the attack that took place near the Liberty Market crossing.
Lorgat said: "It is a source of great sadness that there have been a number of fatalities in this attack and it is also very upsetting for the wider cricket family that some of the Sri Lanka players and one match official have been injured in this attack. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with the injured people and also the families of those who have died."
He said that the ICC is taking all steps to get their match officials out of Pakistan as soon as possible.
"I have confirmed with both Member Boards that the remainder of the tour has been cancelled and we are working hard to get our match officials out of the area as safely and as quickly as possible. I know, also, that the Pakistan Cricket Board is working with Sri Lanka Cricket to make sure the players are flown home at the earliest opportunity," he said.