Tortured by employers for two years, girl freed | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Tortured by employers for two years, girl freed

delhi Updated: Dec 22, 2010 00:31 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

When she was rescued, she could barely walk and had scratches all over her face and body. And all this 12-year-old could remember was that she was brought to the house in Lajpat Nagar two years ago.

This was the result of torture and abuse by her employers — an MNC executive and his wife, a college lecturer — over the past two years.

"Didi (her employer) used to make me work from 7am to midnight. If I fell asleep, she would scratch me with her nails. I would cry for help but they wouldn't listen. Saheb (the MNC executive) would not beat, but he abused me a lot. They never paid me anything," Savitri (name changed) told HT.

The police, with the help of a non-governmental organisation, rescued Savitri last week. The girl is now in an observation home, Prayas, in Tughlaqabad.

"When the police came to rescue me, they (the employers) hid me in one of the rooms under heap of clothes. Now that I am free, I want to study and make a future for myself," said Savitri.

"Once, I was beaten because I stopped to watch didi's children playing with water in the bathroom," said Savitri. According to the girl, the woman would stomp on Savitri's feet till she apologised several times. The girl still has the scars and she limped.

Savitri said she left home when she was barely eight. Before coming to Delhi she has worked in Chattisgarh, but she does not remember the city.

"All I remember is that I belong to a village, Kolbina, in Jharkhand. I don't even remember how my parents look. I have a younger brother. A bhaiyya brought me to Delhi by train," she said.

The police have arrested the MNC executive, Neeraj Rawat. His wife Sapna, however, is on the run. Two more persons — a placement agency owner Kuldeep Singh and his employee Patrus — have also been arrested for their involvement in the case.

Police said they were tipped off by an NGO and have arrested the accused.

"The woman, a lecturer with Delhi University's Khalsa college, is on the run and has applied for anticipatory bail. We arrested her husband and two others. All the relevant charges, including bonded labour act, have been registered against them," said OP Mishra, DCP (southeast).