Two labourers, engaged as sewage workers by the Delhi Jal Board (DJB), died and six others who tried rescuing them fainted allegedly after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a treatment plant in east Delhi on Saturday morning, police said.
Moolchand and Dileep, the operator and the baildar for the operation, died during the incident which was reported from the Kondli area around 11 am.
“There were two persons, an operator and a baildar, who had gone to clean the tank, which was apparently closed for some days,” said Devraj Bhadana, of Delhi Jal Mal Karmachari Sangh.
“The moment one of the valves was opened, toxic fumes were released and the duo got affected. Minutes later, six others, who had gone to rescue them, were also affected,” Bhadana said.
The police said all the victims were taken to the adjacent Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital where Moolchand and Dileep were declared dead and the others are recovering.
Moolchand was the first to have opened the valve — which put him in direct contact with the toxic gas. Dileep was affected soon after.