Two men die as cars catch fire | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two men die as cars catch fire

delhi Updated: Apr 24, 2010 01:08 IST
HT Correspondent

Two persons were charred to death in their own vehicles in the capital in two separate incidents on Friday.

In the first incident, a 36-year-old businessman’s charred body was found in his CNG-run WagonR car outside the Regional Transport Office on the K.N. Katju Marg in outer Delhi. The incident was reported around 11.45 p.m.

“The man, identified as Rupinder Singh Bhatia, was a resident of Joshi Road, Karol Bagh,” said Chhaya Sharma DCP (outer) Delhi.

Police say, the car caught fire due to a short-circuit in its air-conditioning system. “The car was completely burned within minutes. Investigation proved that it was an accident,” Sharma claimed.

It took the cops three hours to identify the body. “We traced the car owner with a woman’s driving licence found in the vehicle,” said a senior police officer. The driver’s licence led the police to Bhatia’s wife, Simrat Kaur.

“When we contacted her, she said her husband was missing since Thursday. Questioning revealed that Bhatia was allegedly being hounded for some money he owed a business associate,” the officer said.

Bhatia’s family claimed that foul play was behind his death.

Manvinder Singh Bhatia (38), Rupinder’s elder brother who runs the family’s CNG kit business, said, “If it was an accident, how is it that the car’s engine and CNG kit are intact? We demand a probe.”

Barely hours after Bhatia’s body was sent for post-mortem, Gulshan Mallick’s body was found at Prerna Chown, under the Kanhaiya Nagar metro station, in a burned Maruti 800 in northwest Delhi.

“Prima facie it seems that the car’s rear caught fire due to a short circuit in the wiring close to the petrol tank,” said a senior police officer.

“Fumes from the fire affected the driver and he fell unconscious. As the car traveled, its rear tyres melted and the car crashed into a divider and caught fire,” he said.

Cases have been registered at the Prashant Vihar police station and Keshavpuram Police Station. Investigations are on.