In their rush to complete Commonwealth Games projects, the civic agencies seem to be flouting basic rules.
A 24 year old biker was injured on Friday when his bike got entangled in a heap of wires and cables left on the road by the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC). The man sustained serious head injuries and was rushed to the nearby hospital. The accident took place on Rajesh Pilot Marg near Lodhi Garden gate number 4 at around 7.30 pm on Friday.
“I saw this man lying on the road and his bike had got stuck in a heap of wires and cables. It seemed the civic agency was putting up new streetlight poles as a lamp post was also lying on the sidewalk. They must have been carrying out re wiring and left the wires unattended,” said Neha Gupta, an eyewitness.
“The NDMC is carrying out construction work on the road and his bike got stuck in one of the cables. We are registering a case,” said Shankar Dash, additional commissioner of police.
However, the civic agency denied the charge. “I have been told that those were cable TV wires. We have been taking all care to put safety measures in place,” said NDMC spokesman, Anand Tiwari.