A 24-year-old student suffocated to death after a residential building in North Delhi’s Burari went up in flames early on Thursday. Three others received burn injuries, but are out of danger, police said.
The fire broke out at a residential building in Gali Number 115 of Veer Bazaar in Burari around 4.10 am. The occupants of the building have told the police that the blaze may have been caused by a short-circuit.
The first floor of the house is occupied by the owner and the other two floors have been let out to students from Uttar Pradesh, who are in Delhi to prepare for competitive exams. When the fire started, the students rushed down to escape. Three of them received burns and were rushed to Sushruta Trauma Centre for treatment. One student, Sandeep, panicked and ran upstairs where he was trapped in smoke. Before the fire fighters could rescue him, he had died of asphyxiation, a senior police officer said.