Uphaar mishap: Ansals told to pay up | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Uphaar mishap: Ansals told to pay up

delhi Updated: Nov 25, 2009 02:37 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed the Ansal brothers, owners of Uphaar cinema hall, to release an interim compensation of Rs 3.4 crore to the families and surviving victims of the fire tragedy that killed 59 people on June 13, 1997.

The real estate barons would also have to pay the interest accrued on the compensation amount from 1997 onwards.

A bench headed by Justice R.V. Raveendran has asked the Association of Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) to submit a list of families of the victims to disburse the compensation amount.

The court said the amount would only be an interim measure subject to its final verdict on the total compensation of Rs 18.5 crore directed by the Delhi High Court on April 24, 2004.

The High Court had held the Ansals, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, Delhi Vidyut Board (DVB) and the licensing authority “guilty of negligence” and had directed the cinema owners to pay 55 per cent of the total compensation award. The remaining 45 per cent was to be borne proportionately by the MCD, DVB and the Delhi Police.