Suspecting that Wednesday morning's blast outside the Delhi High Court was the work of the same amateur perpetrator(s) who had conducted a dry-run of sorts on May 25, the Delhi Police ensured that anyone who had anything to do with the incident went through a detailed verification drill, in the hours that followed.
More than two companies of officers, drawn from across the Tilak Marg Police Station, the district reserves and the commando division, were not only deployed at each hospital but also sent to the homes of witnesses and victims alike to verify their credentials.
"Since this is the initial stage, we can't leave anything to chance. Since the incident seems to be linked to the comparatively amateurish blast on May 25, there is high probability that the planter(s) of the bomb is among the injured," said a senior police officer from the New Delhi district.
The Delhi Police were concerned about the veracity of the statements of several persons claiming to be eyewitnesses to the blast that took place outside gate number five of the Delhi High Court, after rumours of the bomb having been planted by a man in a white kurta started doing the rounds.
The statement(s) had been given to the media at the Ram Manohar Lohia hospital by a man claiming to be a resident of north Delhi's Burari on Wednesday afternoon.
There were apprehensions of involvement of a suicide bomber in the blast, sources said.
However, police dismissed the 'information' divulged by him as bogus and chose to rely on the testimony of two others - whose versions were found to match with the description of a couple of men who matched the police's own intelligence inputs.
"We are tracking each and every witness, victim and guardian or family member of those who have lost their lives. Those who have been admitted across four hospitals as well as those who have claimed to be related to them, will be discharged only after they have been verified by specially-deputed officers, who are moving among them," the officer said.