Terror suspect Wazhul Kamar Khan stayed on in the list of most wanted fugitives handed over to Pakistan despite his arrest last year due to a “genuine oversight” by Mumbai Police and a “lapse” by the Intelligence Bureau, Home Minister P Chidambaram said on Wednesday.
“We take responsibility. It is a mistake. How this mistake has happened has been explained subsequently. CBI through Interpol will notify the arrest of Khan,” he said.
The home ministry’s findings of the probe into the embarrassing faux pas came hours after the CBI took the Thane resident’s name off the list.
Chidambaram owned up but hit out at the BJP leaders who took jibes at the government for what it called a “monumental lapse”.
He recalled LK Advani's statement that he did not know that three terrorists were taken out of jail and taken to Kandahar by the then foreign minister Jaswant Singh in December 1999. “He said I did not know.”
Giving details of the events that led to the ‘lapse’, he said Mumbai Police arrested Khan, an accused in 2003 Mulund blasts, on May 21, 2010. But this information was not formally conveyed to the CBI.