Soon after the imposition of President’s Rule in Jharkhand, the security forces have gone on a major offensive against the Naxals in the state.
In the past 12 days, the security forces, with the help of the state police, carried out raids at several Naxal hideouts, killing about a dozen Maoists and recovering over 300 kg of explosives (improvised explosive device) and weapons.
Sources said this was the first time the CRPF had been successful in such a major haul after the anti-Naxal operations started in Jharkhand.
According to CRPF figures, in June, the forces arrested seven Naxals in different parts of the state. They recovered five IEDs weighing 60-70 kg each and one IED weighing 25 kg in Serengtoli village in Ranchi district. The CRPF also seized 750 live ammunitions in Pahrapur village in Dhanbad district.
The operations got a major boost on Sunday after the forces reportedly killed 10 Naxals following an 18-hour gunbattle in Bandgaon in West Singhbhum district.
While the sources said the anti-Naxal operations in Jharkhand intensified in the past couple of weeks only after the forces got a clear mandate from the government, CRPF Special Director General Vijay Raman said the operations were going on as usual and had been planned much before the imposition of President’s Rule.
“We are here to put the Naxals in right place. In coming days, you may see many more actions,” said Raman, who is also commanding the anti-Naxal operations.
The central forces had briefly put on hold its operations in Chhattisgarh and some other Naxal-hit states after suffering a big setback in the Dantewada jungles where the Maoists massacred 75 of its men on April 6.
But after several rounds of review meetings, the central forces are said to have re-drawn strategy to carry out a fresh offensive against the Maoists.
Home Minister P. Chidambaram had also visited Ranchi last week to take stock of security forces’ preparedness, the sources added.