A woman was charred to death and 12 labourers were injured in a fire that started at the Commonwealth Games Village site in east Delhi on Saturday.
Police said the fire started around 5 a.m. when sparks from a burning cardboard spread in the makeshift cabins the labourers stay in. The labourers had started a fire to stay warm in the cold weather.
A case of death due to negligence against unknown persons has been registered.
“Some labourers had prepared tea inside the cabins, the roofs of which are made of foam,” said K.C. Dwivedi, DCP (east).
Twelve fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the flames were controlled after about an hour. As on date 8,000 labourers working at the Games Village site are living in porta cabins, which are portable and made of wood.
Police said after an entire day of rescue operations, the body of a 40-year-old woman, Monica, was recovered in the evening. The woman was charred beyond recognition.