B-school and admissions | education | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

B-school and admissions

education Updated: Mar 17, 2010 09:25 IST

Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Along with the releasing the short list of candidates for the second round of evaluation, B-schools are also detailing the criteria for admission. In this article, we will talk about the top MBA institutes and the details of the admission procedure. From this year on, significant weightage will be given to academic performance and work experience. The second round of evaluation, i.e. group discussion (GD), personal interview (PI) and/or essay writing, will start from mid-March and go on till April.

Let us have a look at the admission criteria of some of the top B-schools in India.

IIM Ahmedabad
IIM Ahmedabad has short listed 960 candidates to compete for 450 seats (up from last year’s number of 360). There will be no GD for the second round of evaluation but a personal interview will be conducted. Going by last year’s evaluation structure, essay writing is likely to be the other component. The PI round commenced on March 14 and will go on till April 19 at various centres across India.

IIM Bangalore
From this year, IIM Bangalore has introduced essay writing as part of the evaluation. Personal interviews will also be conducted as part of the evaluation.

The cut-off CAT score for the institute is above 90 percentile. The number of seats has been notched up to 375, an increase of 25 seats from last year’s figure of 350. The institute has not yet released the dates for the second round of evaluations.

IIM Calcutta
IIM Calcutta has the CAT cut-off of 99.9 percentile. The institute will conduct GD and PI rounds. The institute has also seen a rise in the number of seats from last year -- from 408 to 462. The GD and PI will commence on March 22 and go on till March 28.

IIM Lucknow
IIM Lucknow has a CAT cut-off of 90 percentile for the second round of evaluation. Apart from GD and PI rounds, the institute will also conduct a written ability test. In this round, candidates will be asked to write their views about a given topic. The same topic will be used for the GD as well. The number of seats has been increased from 373 to 419. The weightage given to CAT 2009 scores is 30. The combined weightage for GD, PI and the written ability test is 45.

Past academic records have the weightage of 20. Class X marks are given the highest weightage of 10. Meanwhile, class XII and graduation marks carry a weightage of five each. Work experience is allotted a weightage of five. The second round of evaluation will commence on March 22 .

IIM Kozhikode
IIM Kozhikode has set a cut-off of 90 percentile for CAT scores. The institute holds GD and PI as part of the second round of evaluation. The number of seats stands at 310, seeing no increase from last year.

MDI
MDI Gurgaon offers 240 seats. The cut-off CAT percentile has not been revealed yet. Shor tlisted candidates will be called for GD and PI rounds,which will commence in the last week of March. They are expected to last three to four weeks. The institute allots 70 per cent weightage for CAT scores, while the remaining 30 per cent weightage is allotted to GD and PI rounds, past academic performances in the Class X and XII exams, and work experience. GD and PI rounds are expected to commence on March 22.

FMS
FMS will be offering 166 seats. Candidates after the FMS entrance exam will be called in for GDs, extempore and a PI round. The procedure will start from March 25.

tags