FTII ends break of 2 zero years, new batch to be ‘sensitised’
Ending two years of non-induction of students amid protests in the campus, the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) is admitting a new batch next week.education Updated: Jul 21, 2016 17:46 IST
Ending two years of non-induction of students amid protests in the campus, the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) is admitting a new batch next week.
The FTII administration said it will “sensitise” the students joining on July 28 to be not swayed by their seniors who held prolonged protests last year against a top appointment at the institute.
The union government, which runs the 1960-founded autonomous institution under the information and broadcasting ministry, appointed actor Gajendra Chauhan as the FTII chairman on June 9 last year. This led to a 139-day strike by students, who saw saffronisation in the move by the NDA regime at the centre. The agitation formally ended in October, but protests continue over Chauhan as the head of the institute.
Despite the revolt that attracted nationwide attention, FTII this year received 3,892 student applications, which is 30% more vis-a-vis the last time it notified admissions. The institute did not recruit students in 2014 and 2015, also citing non-completion of courses for the 2008-batch students who were “over-staying”.
The longest of courses FTII offers are of the post-graduate diploma category, spanning three years.
“The new batch will be apprised about our general guidelines,” said FTII director Bhupendra Kainthola. “Besides the decorum we expect from students, we will provide them information about the facilities FTII provides them.”
The new batch, typically, will sign an affidavit agreeing to the general code of conduct.