FYUP row: Delhi University hopefuls, students anxious about future
Amidst jubilation as well as disappointment on the government’s decision to roll back the controversial Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP), over two lakh Delhi University aspirants have nowhere to go.education Updated: Jun 23, 2014 16:06 IST
Amidst jubilation as well as disappointment on the government’s decision to roll back the controversial Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP), over two lakh Delhi University aspirants have nowhere to go.
Unsure of their fates, prospective students fear that with barely few days left for the university’s first cut-off list, this order may not bring good news for them.
“I am not sure if we would be admitted for the three-year course or the four-year course. There is no information on what would finally be the course structure. Boasting of their successful ‘open days’, the university has again left us with no clarity,” said Payal Dhawan, a DU aspirant.
The first cut-off list is due to be announced on June 24 and like every year, North Campus’ St Stephens’ College has already released its cut-off commencing the admission procedure, although on Sunday, the college announced that it will defer final admissions till a decision was reached on the issue.
“When the university had already gone ahead with the four-year programme despite red flags from the teachers, steps should have been taken to improve the existing course. An established university cannot play with the careers of thousands of students,” said Mala Aggarwal, mother of a 17-year-old DU applicant.
Not only have DU applicants and their parents been left confused by this sudden order from University Grants Commission (UGC), the students who have already studied a year under the new programme are now worried about whether the university will restructure their course to ensure its completion in three years or would they carry on with the four-year programme.
“What will happen to students who have already spent a year studying the four-year programme? I don’t think the university has any plans about fitting a four-year syllabus into three years and this worries me,” said Puneeta Vermani, a student of English (Hons) from DCAC.
Students and parents are now expecting a speedy announcement from the university to clarify their future course of action preferably before the first cut-off list is declared.