Jon P Fine, director, author and publisher relations, amazon.com
Any estimates that indicate how many books are published in a year? And how many are self-published?
Hundreds of thousands of books are published ­globally on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) platform. India is still a very nascent but growing market but we are very excited by the response we are seeing from authors based in India. In India, Amazon had over 20 KDP titles in top 100 kindle in 2013 on an average. So, there is a lot of opportunity for growth for aspirants from various forms of writing, including poetry and prose, fiction and non-fiction, bloggers from different communities such as chefs, travel ­writers, photographers.
Only the famous get ­published the traditional way. Is it true?
No, all kinds of people have had their books published. What KDP offers is another way for authors to tell their stories to millions of readers all around the world. We believe that traditional and self-publishing will co-exist and grow together in the coming years.
Some famous books that have been self-published through Amazon.
We have many authors who have self-published globally and in India. Globally, we have authors like Hugh Howey, an American author of popular series Wool and Bella Andrea of the Sullivans series. In India we have authors like Ashok Banker, Amish Tripathi who have experimented with both traditional and self-publishing platforms and then others who only self-publish like: Rasana Atreya’s Tell a Thousand Lies and Viji Vardarajan’s Cooking with Yoghurt etc.
Elaborate the process of ­self-publishing a book on Kindle.
* A writer first needs to ­create an account on Amazon.in, complete and register their account
* Create a book file that has been formatted in Word (doc or docx), HTML, ePub, rich text format, plain text and Adobe PDF. They can simply upload their ­content, enter sales copy and pricing information, and publish in minutes
* Go through the terms and conditions page and ensure that you understand all the details before uploading
* Writers need to keep in mind that it is important to deliver good quality and well formatted content to their readers. Amazon has tools which can help them to format and make their book ­appealing to readers. They can download tools like the KindleGen, Kindle Plugin for Adobe InDesign, or Kindle ­previewer applications to format their book properly which will help in ­increasing sales
* Select the royalty ­program me and the territories to ­publish the book
* Kindle Direct Publishing can process graphics in GIF, PNG, BMP, and JPG formats. Their content becomes available on the Kindle Store when ­published via Kindle Direct Publishing. It takes approximately 48 hours for English and two-three business days for your non-English title to become available for purchase