Number of medical seats touch 1,400 in Haryana with new college opening in Shahabad
Khattar says 28 medical colleges in state in two years; announces health insurance scheme for pooreducation Updated: Jun 24, 2017 20:14 IST
Three weeks after Kalpana Chawla Government Medical College in Karnal received the Medical Council of India’s (MCI) approval for 100 MBBS seats from this academic session, Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Saturday inaugurated the Adesh Medical College and Private Hospital at Mohri village in Kurukshetra district.
The college on National Highway 1 in Shahabad tehsil will admit 150 students in August for the 2017-18 academic session.
With this, the total number of MBBS seats in Haryana will reach 1,400.
After the inauguration, Khattar said, “Twentyeight medical colleges will be opened in the state in two years. Haryana needs more than 27,000 doctors, while it has 10,000 doctors at present. The new colleges will help tide over this shortage.”
He said the government will soon launch a health insurance scheme for the poor and the premium for it will be borne by the government.
He said private institutions will be invited to open colleges in all branches of medicine, including ayurveda and homoeopathy. More specialised branches are being started at PGIMS, Rohtak, while the medical college in Mewat is being upgraded.
He said Rs 3,900 crore has been provided in the budget for health services this year, which is 15.5% more than the amount allocated last year.
MCI NOD FOR COLLEGE
Adesh medical college and hospital chairman Dr Harpreet Singh said that the MCI has approved 150 MBBS seats for the college and admission will start in August. The approval will be renewed on a yearly basis till the first batch passes out.
The college is affiliated to Pandit BD Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak.
The Adesh Welfare Society acquired 29 acres for the medical college and 300-bed hospital.
The state government has approved the Miri-Piri Medical College that will be run by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) in Shahbad.
Haryana health minister Anil Vij said the state government is inviting private players and trusts to set up more medical colleges to improve health services. Four cath labs will also be set up.
BREAKUP OF MEDICAL SEATS IN HARYANA
List of government colleges with seats
• Pt BD Sharma Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak : 200
• BPS Government Medical College for Women, Sonepat: 100
• Employees State Insurance Corporation Medical College, Faridabad: 100
• Kalpana Chawla Government Medical College, Karnal: 100
• Shaheed Hasan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar: 100
List of private colleges with seats
• Adesh Medical College and Hospital, Shahabad, Kurukshetra: 150
• Maharaja Agrasen Medical College, Agroha: 100
• MM Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Mullana, Ambala: 100
• NC Medical College and Hospital, Panipat: 150
• Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary Medical College, Gurgaon: 150
• World College of Medical Sciences and Research, Jhajjar, Haryana: 150