With 2,000 seats meant for the economically weaker section and disadvantaged (EWS/DG) categories lying vacant in the current academic session, a legal notice has been sent to director of education for contempt of court.
The Delhi high court in its order on November 11 last year had directed the government to ensure that the 25 percent seats reserved for the category should not remain vacant.
The court had directed the directorate of education to ensure that all schools that had been allotted land on the condition that they would admit 25% of EWS students fill the allotted seats. The order was passed on a petition filed by Justice for All, an NGO.
According to the data from the directorate of education (DoE) website, a total of 513 schools had not filled the EWS seats. These seats will lapse with the end of this academic session.
The court had asked the education department to inform the Delhi Development Authority if schools were not filling the seats. It directed DDA to initiate the process of cancellation land lease of schools violating the order.
“The director education neither advertised the vacancy in the newspapers nor started any admission drive to fill thousands of vacant seats under EWS and the district admission monitoring committees remained operational only in the statue books,” read the legal notice sent to the director of education.
Lawyer Khagesh Jha, representing Justice for All, said that on several occasions nearly 75 parents approached the director of education but no steps were taken to ensure that the private unaided schools filled the seats.
The NGO sent the legal notice on a complaint by 75 parents. “These parents raised their grievance under section 32 of RTE Act at the portal of directorate of education but nothing happened. It is not any such notice but a notice of contempt of court and its punishment is severe,” said Jha.
The director could not be reached for a comment.