Wondering which college to go to after your board exam results? Here’s a look at one of Mumbai’s better-known colleges and all you need to know about its history, infrastructure and facultyeducation Updated: Apr 14, 2011 10:28 IST
The R.A. Podar College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai has had a long history. It all started in August 1940, when the ‘Shikshana Prasaraka Mandali’ trust made an application to the then, Bombay University, for permission to start a commerce college. Later, industrialist, philanthropist and visionary, Seth Ramdeoji Anandilal Podar, built the institution in the memory his brother Ramniranjan Anandialal Podar and gifted it to S P Mandali on February 7, 1941.
The institution first started their B. Com. degree course in 1942 and the word ‘economics’ was added to the college’s name. The College received permanent affiliation from the University of Mumbai on August 17, 1950.
Admissions take place in the month of June, and the new academic year begins in July.
The R. A. Podar College of Commerce & Economics is a single faculty commerce college. It offers eight academic programmes — four UG Degree Courses - B.Com (Bachelors in commerce) in accountancy, management, Bachelors in management studies, M.Com ( Masters in commerce) in accountancy, and management and a Ph.D. in banking and finance.
On the campus
Assembly Hall: The assembly hall is a multipurpose hall where the college hosts all its leading events. It is a place of confluence of all students from both, junior and senior college during major college festivals.
The hall has a seating capacity of 500. The auditorium sports a semi-circular stage for performing arts.
Gymkhana: The college gymkhana has a small office to store some equipment and records. Since the gymkhana office is used by students to play carrom and chess during their free time. The multi-purpose main hall is also used to play indoor games like table tennis and badminton.
Judo and boxing are practiced in the main hall. For outdoor games and sports, the gymkhana books courts and ground of other associations.
Computer Lab: The Institution has a central computer laboratory with 50 computers, printing and internet facility. The computer centre works from morning 7.00 a.m. to 5.30 p. m. It has developed the learning packages for shortterm courses in computer applications. The computer centre conducts various courses in computer.
Library: There is also a computer-aided library.
Watch out for
1. The college canteen, which is famous for the Chinese food it dishes out everyday.
2. Subhash Sandwichwala, the famous sandwichmaker who is located right outside the college.
3. The famous ‘katta’ (boundary wall opposite the college), that is a favourite among students who are more often seen hanging out there, than in the class.
4. The many budget eating joints around the college that Podarites love frequenting — DP’s, Snow Point, Gulshan and Manis.
5. Podar’s inter-collegiate event, Enigma. It’s the highlight of the college, which sees a stupendous participations from colleges across Mumbai.
1. A highly distinguished alumni and a very active student placement cell.
2. The college gymkhana and the support system extended to students who wish to excel in sports and the many tournaments played by Podarites.
3. The college is well known for the senior college commerce faculty and is said to be one of the best commerce colleges in the city
4. The college has been assessed by NAAC as an A Grade college with CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) of 3.63. Among the 235 colleges assessed, RA Podar college scored the maximum GPA, as of March 27, 2011, when the assessment results were announced.
Podar College has an intra- college festival, RAPPORT, which has cultural, sports and fine art events. Apart from that, Rostrum Spectrum, the literary festival is held every year in September.
Cells and Clubs
The placement cell sends student profiles to companies such as JP Morgan and Deloitte. The women’s development cell and selfdevelopment cell conduct workshops and aptitude tests respectively.Active clubs include the Hikers’ Club, Photography club and the Literary Circles.
Principal: Shobana Vasudevan
“Podar is the oldest institution in Mumbai and has an immaculate academic track record for over 65 years, believing in value education. Podar is not just about getting a degree, we believe in the overall development of a student’s personality and we nurture intellect and ultimately create personalities.”
Former Chief Justice
(Member of Parliament)
Shivji K. Vikamsey
Alumni: Aarti Shah, 57, housewife “Podar has always had a good reputation. Even when I graduated in 1975, it was among the best in Mumbai for commerce.
We had excellent professors who were keen on teaching and made sure we understood concepts clearly.
Even now, as an alumnus, I feel proud to have graduated from there.”
Student: Sarayu Rajgopalan, 19, SYBCom
“I had heard a lot about Podar from my seniors and friends — about how it’s good for both academics as well as for co-curricular activities. Even while I was doing my SSC, I had made up my mind about going to Podar. As soon as I got into the college, I fell in love with it. We used to spend a lot of time around the college even after lectures. As for the activities, I participated in the dodge ball competition which was held during the intra-collegiate festival, ‘Rapport’. Podar has an excellent faculty for senior commerce college students.
Important dates of Podar college
Intakes: The admissions take place in the month of June, and the new academic year begins in July.
Podar College has an intra-college festival, RAPPORT, which has cultural, sports and fine art events- third week of Dcember.
Apart from that, Rostrum Spectrum is a purely literary festival held every year in September.
In conversation with Principal of Podar College, Shobana Vasudevan. Click Here