The Madhya Pradesh school education department is in no mood to conduct further admission process in private schools under the Right to Education (RTE) Act in Indore district this year after two earlier rounds evoked poor response.
Only 16.71 percent of the reserved seats in these institutions were filled in the two rounds of admission conducted earlier, prompting the officials responsible for implementation of the Act in the district to call off the process.
“It’s all over for this year now,” said an official.
Indore this year witnessed lowest ever turnout for admission
The district this year witnessed lowest ever turnout for the admission since the inception of the RTE Act, despite recording highest number of registration in the state.
As many as 38,189 seats in different private schools affiliated to CBSE and Madhya Pradesh Board of Secondary Education in Indore are reserved for “disadvantaged students” under the Act.
To avail the seats, 18,652 candidates applied for registration in the district, but after two rounds of admission only 15,895 seats were allotted. Again after scrutiny of the documents of the allottees, only 6385 were found eligible for the admission.
This year, the department for the first time had conducted two rounds of centralised online lottery on August 20 and October 6 for the admission. To take part in the lottery, maximum number of registration forms was received from the district by the department.
Parents prefer prominent CBSE-affiliated schools
Parents’ preference for prominent CBSE-affiliated schools, unfamiliarity with the online registration process, procedural delay and faulty verification procedures by “casual and rude” officials were some of the factors parents and officials underlined for the large number of seats going vacant.
Speaking to Hindustan Times, district project coordinator (DPC – RTE) A S Rathore said parents’ penchant for prominent CBSE schools was one of the major reasons for most of the seats remaining unfilled.
He said once the reserved seats in these prominent schools were filled up, parents lost interest in availing the quota for their children in other schools.
‘Some parents found online system complicated’
According to him, introduction of online system was another factor that led to the poor response. The online system was introduced to prevent discrepancies, but some parents found it complicated, Rathore said.
Previously, the process used to be completed by July, but this year it lingered till October, the project coordinator pointed out, adding this dissuaded many parents from admitting their wards under RTE this year.
Meanwhile, many parents blamed faulty verification procedures conducted by “casual and rude” officials for the seats remaining vacant.
Despite meeting eligibility criteria and having all the required documents, admission forms of a large number of applicants were rejected, they alleged.