Rush continues on Day Two of sports quota test but chaos under control | education | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Rush continues on Day Two of sports quota test but chaos under control

education Updated: Jun 20, 2015 14:57 IST
Delhi University


Students continued to crowd Delhi University’s Polo Grounds on Friday, with around 1800 applicants turning up at the stadium for their fitness test.

The university from this year has decided to hold one common fitness test for all aspirants to make matters easy for students. However, it seemed unable to cope with the rush of students making a beeline for their fitness tests for the second consecutive day on Friday.

A number of students were again asked to come back on Saturday due to the rush.

“I came on the first day but was not allowed inside. Today, they gave me a slip to come on Saturday,” said Arun, an applicant.

Even as things improved slightly at the Polo Grounds where the trials continued till late on Friday night, many parents complained against not being allowed inside the venue.

“We conducted fitness tests for almost 1,800 applicants on the second day. Those students who could not appear today have been given slips and they will come tomorrow. We have given slips to around 700-800 applicants,” said DU sports council secretary Anil Kumar Kalkal.

Authorities said parents were not allowed inside to avoid any disruptions in the trials. Parents, however, said that they were concerned about the health of their children.

“My daughter has been on the field since the morning on an empty stomach and I have no idea of her well-being,” said a candidate’s mother.

Many applicants and parents complained about the lack of refreshments or cold drinking water near the trial venue.

The chaos and mismanagement witnessed on day one, however, was largely absent on Friday. “Proper queues were formed and the trials were conducted quite smoothly,” said an athlete.

The gates to the stadium were opened for only two hours. Several applicants, who were not aware of this, arrived after 9:30 am and were denied entry inside the premises. Only those who had received slips on the previous day were allowed in. “I arrived early in the morning and managed to acquire a registration slip. I will again have to come back tomorrow for my trials but I will have to come again tomorrow for my fitness test,” said a 17 year-old male football player.