December 17 will remain etched in the memory of most students who attended an interaction with Google CEO Sundar Pichai at Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) in Delhi University.
Pichai, the India-born CEO, who is an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, interacted with students from various parts of the country in the open event, during his first overseas trip after taking over as the Google chief in August this year.
A ‘down-to-earth’ person, as most students who attended the event described him as, Pichai, in a candid tête-à-tête with cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle, touched upon five things that will be of interest to young people:
• Follow your heart and do what you like, anything that excites you
• If you are comfortable with what you are doing, then you are not pushing yourself enough
• It is good to work with people who make you feel insecure. They help you push yourself to do better. That’s an inherent part of learning
• The education system needs to encourage creativity. Indian schools need to adopt project-based experiential learning.
• In India, students need to be taught to take risks