Even as the controversy surrounding the 2013 IIT admissions appeared to be settling down, Monday brought about a new twist in the tale. Nearly a dozen parents, in collaboration with an NGO, filed a petition in the Bombay High Court — demanding a stay on the new pattern for 2013.
The NGO — Forum for Fairness in Education — and eleven parents of 12th standard students submitted a petition in court, challenging the new IIT pattern on several grounds.
“We were hopeful that the government would consider students who had been preparing for the IIT entrance for the last two years. An abrupt change in the pattern can be stressful. The child should be given ample time to mentally prepare himself for the new pattern. When we saw that the government was adamant on bringing about the change from 2013, we had no option but to opt for the legal course,” says Jayant Jain, president of the NGO.
Describing the decision to make only 20 percentile from each board eligible for the entrance test as “arbitrary, discriminative and unreasonable”, the petitioners said marks across different boards cannot be equated.
Appealing for directions to not implement the new exam pattern for at least three years, the petitioners said the government’s move had come into criticism from parents, students and teachers.