Becks' lawsuit against mag dismissed | entertainment | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 05, 2016-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Becks' lawsuit against mag dismissed

entertainment Updated: Feb 16, 2011 13:44 IST

IANS
Highlight Story

Soccer ace David Beckham's libel lawsuit against a US showbiz magazine has been dismissed.

Last year In Touch published a story claiming the footballer had cheated on his wife Victoria several times with a prostitute -- a charge which he has denied.

Judge Manuel Real ruled that Beckham didn't show any evidence that the magazine published the story to damage him, reports bbc.co.uk.

In the US, someone suing for libel has to prove the publication meant to harm them, which is called "actual malice".

The judge said any allegations of cheating by the star would be of interest to the public. However, Beckham claimed that the facts in the magazine were all wrong and he was actually with his sick father on one of the occasions he was stated to have been with the prostitute Irma Nici, said the report on the BBC website.

BeckhamIn court papers, the 35-year-old argues he was actually with his sick father on one of the occasions he was stated to have been with the prostitute Irma Nici.

"We were left with two hands tied behind our back for the purposes of this motion," said Beckham's lawyer after the ruling.