Yash Chopra not only explored romance in various hues, he also gave image-makeover to actors such as Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan, and actresses like Rekha and Sridevi. He also made the narrative beautiful via exotic locations.
Music was another high-point of his larger-than-life canvas. In nutshell, he touched upon various aspects of cinema and turned them into gold with his midas touch.
Here's remembering the best of Yash Chopra:
TOP 5 HEROINES
2. Katrina Kaif
4. Madhuri Dixit
5. Juhi Chawla
TOP 5 LOCATIONS
4. The Netherlands - Dekha Ek Khwaab from Silsila
TOP 5 FILMS (We got a top 10 here instead, it's just not possible to scrunch the tally here!)
5. Kabhi Kabhie
TOP 5 HEROES
1. Shah Rukh Khan
2. Amitabh Bachchan
3. Anil Kapoor
4. Rishi Kapoor
5. Rajesh Khanna
TOP 5 HIGH POINTS
1. Made his directorial debut with Dhool Ka Phool in 1959.
2. Established Amitabh Bachchan as angry young man with Deewar in 1975.
3. Dil To Pagal Hai (1998) and Veer-Zaara (2005) won him the national film award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment.
4. Yash Chopra got Padma Bhushan in 2005.
5. Yash Chopra is also the recipient of France's highest civilian honour, Legion of Honour.
TOP 5 LOW POINTS
1. In eighties, Yash Chopra gave several flops such as Silsila (1981), Mashaal (1984) and Vijay (1988).
2. Chopra's Lamhe was considered to be his best work, but couldn't work commercially. The film collected moolah in overseas though.
3. After Silsila, Yash Chopra and Amitabh Bachchan apparently fell out and reconciled with Mohabbatein.
4. In 1973, the Chopra brothers (BR and Yash) separated and Yash set up his own production house Yash Raj Films.
5. His film Faasle (1985) was panned by critics for bad storyline and editing.
TOP 5 SONGS
1. Rang Barse (Silsila)
2. Rang Bhare Badal (Chandni)
3. Morni (Lamhe)
4. Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein (Kabhi Kabhie)
5. Tu Hai Meri Kiran (Darr)
TOP 5 JODIS
1. Amitabh Bachchan-Rekha
3. Rishi Kapoor-Sridevi
4. Sridevi-Anil Kapoor
TOP 5 SCENES
1. Mere Paas Maan Hai - Deewar
2. When Rishi Kapoor fakes a fight with Sridevi to get her out of his life - Chandni
3. When SRK comes to know that Juhi Chawla is getting married to Sunny Deol - Darr
4. When Amitabh Bachchan tells Rakhee that he has stopped writing books after Kabhi Kabhie - Kabhi Kabhie
5. When Amitabh Bachchan confronts Sanjeev Kumar and reveals to him that he's his son - Trishul
TOP 5 GENRES
1. Social-dramas such as Waqt, Dhool Ka Phool and Dharmputra
2. Romantic films such as Silsila, Dil To Paagal Hai and Veer Zaara
3. Action films such as Deewar and Trishul
4. Suspense movies such as Ittefaq
5. Experimental films such as Lamhe
KING OF ROMANCE PASSES AWAY
OBITUARY: Yash Chopra's romance with cinema
Yash Chopra might not have lived to see his last release Jab Tak Hai Jaan (JTHJ) which is set to release on Diwali this year, but he did announce his retirement on 27th September, his 80th birthday. FEATURE INSIDE
Yash Chopra's funeral today, India remembers the King of Romance
Veteran Hindi filmmaker Yash Chopra died of multi-organ failure on Sunday, a week after he was admitted to the Lilavati hospital with dengue. The funeral will take place today in Mumbai. READ MORE
Yash Chopra was down to earth, a romantic at heart
An air of gloom pervaded Mohalla Gobindgarh, where Raj Villa, the ancestral house of filmmaker Yash Raj Chopra is situated, the moment the news of his death reached this Jalandhar locality on Sunday. Most of his family members were preparing to go to Mumbai to attend his cremation. MORE INSIDE
Bollywood mourns Yash Chopra's demise
Bollywood celebs took to Twitter to pay their condolences to legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra who passed away on Sunday evening. READ MORE
Yash Chopra could switch genres with ease, still give hits
"I'm the sentimental kind, I cry easily while watching a film. Poignant moments move me to tears irrespective of what film I am watching and who has made it..." The statement might sound a bit mushy coming from a filmmaker of the stature and reputation of late Yash Raj Chopra. READ MORE
RECENT MEMORABLE INTERVIEWS
Shah Rukh does not ask for story or money: Yash Chopra
Filmmaker Yash Chopra, who teamed up with Shah Rukh Khan for over half-a-dozen films in the past two decades said the actor never sought to know the story or the fees he would be paid, when offered a role by him. READ MORE
Jab Tak Hai Jaan will be my last film: Yash Chopra
Chopra's disclosure, made at an event marking his 80th birthday with actor Shah Rukh Khan by his side, took the Indian film industry by surprise. "I think I've had enough, Shah Rukh," Chopra replied when Khan asked him about his next project. INTERVIEW INSIDE
Yash Chopra shares his cinematic journey
Veteran Bollywood filmmaker Yash Chopra, who turned 80 Thursday, talked about his journey in the show business with superstar Shah Rukh Khan in a heart-to-heart televised chat. Chopra said his family wanted him to become an engineer but he knew he wanted to direct films. CHOPRA GETS EMOTIONAL
Smita-Parveen, the original choice for Silsila: Yash Chopra
Veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra has revealed that he had earlier chosen to cast actors Smita Patil and Parveen Babi alongside Amitabh Bachchan, instead of Jaya Bachchan and Rekha for his 1981 hit film Silsila. CHOPRA SPEAKS