Brit biz biggie sues Kabir Bedi | entertainment | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Brit biz biggie sues Kabir Bedi

entertainment Updated: Mar 06, 2011 15:38 IST
Highlight Story

Actor Kabir Bedi, his girlfriend Parveen Dusanj and Konkona Sen Sharma have landed in hot water. British-Asian businessman Deepak Kuntawala and his charity, The DVK Foundation, are suing Parveen’s sister, Suki, in the British courts for unauthorised expenses and multiple breaches of contract at a charity party he organised in 2009.

Kuntawala, a survivor of 26/11, who founded The DVK Foundation to raise money for survivors of the Mumbai attacks, reportedly hired Suki Dusanj, a PR professional, to get UK celebrities to the charity’s inaugural fundraising dinner. At the dinner, the actors and their guests allegedly used unauthorised facilities in the hotels where they were put up, thereby incurring an extra expense of £8,258 (Rs. 6 lakh) which they asked the charity to pay.

Kuntawala says when he disputed the amount, Parveen posted defamatory messages about him on Twitter and Sen Sharma and Bedi spread libelous comments about him in the press, for which he has slapped legal charges. “There were many people who were going to donate to the DVK Foundation and did not proceed as a result of their defamation,” he says.

Bedi, however, retorts, “I’m not aware of any case being filed in any court. So far he has only threatened to do so, for an event that happened in 2009. Now he just seems to be seeking publicity. I was misled to host his event after being taken in by his fake claims of heroism during 26/11.”