Cockroach feast leads to death | entertainment | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Cockroach feast leads to death

entertainment Updated: Oct 10, 2012 00:25 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

A 32-year-old man who had won a cockroach-eating competition in Florida died shortly after swallowing dozens of the live roaches and worms.

Edward Archbold was among 30 contestants participating in Friday night's "Midnight Madness" event at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, authorities said.

Soon after the contest, Archbold fell ill and began to vomit. His friend called for medical help and even Archbold himself dialled 911.

Archbold, eventually fell to the ground outside the store, the sheriff's office said.

He was taken to the North Broward Medical Center, where doctors pronounced him dead.

Ben Siegel, the owner of the store said that he was "the life of the party". "He really made our night more fun," Siegel added.