Fire at Sterling theatre | entertainment | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fire at Sterling theatre

entertainment Updated: Nov 14, 2010 15:23 IST
Hiren Kotwani
Hiren Kotwani
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Barely a month ago, a bag abandoned by a thief caused a bomb scare at Sterling Cineplex. Late Friday night, south Mumbai’s cineplex set the alarm bells ringing for real, due to a fire that started in its premises. Fortunately, no casualties were reported.

When contacted, the cinema staff declined to comment. However, Uday Tatkare, chief fire officer, revealed that the fire took place in the Subway outlet located in the theatre’s premises.

He says, “We got a call at the control room at 00:56 hours. Three fire engines were rushed to the spot. On reaching there, the team doused the fire within a few minutes. The electric cable wiring in the kitchen had caught fire.”

We learnt that there weren’t any customers at the eatery and the staff was wrapping up the work before shutting shop for the night. Some portion in the passageway and kitchen suffered damage, due to the fire, which also affected a few appliances.