Advertisement

HindustanTimes Tue,23 Sep 2014

Uday Chopra's maiden Hollywood production pulled from March release

Agencies   January 25, 2014
First Published: 12:21 IST(25/1/2014) | Last Updated: 12:31 IST(25/1/2014)

Distributors of Uday Chopra’s maiden Hollywood co-production, based on the life of Princess Grace, pull the film from its release calendar

Bollywood actor-turned-producer Uday Chopra has been in the news of late for venturing into Hollywood. The first film he has co-produced is Grace of Monaco, based on the life of ’50s Hollywood actress and Princess of Monaco, Grace Kelly. The film, which stars Nicole Kidman in the titular role, was set to release in the US on March 14. However, according to the American trade paper, The Hollywood Reporter, the release has now been pushed, without a new release date being announced.

The report further suggests that director Olivier Dahan has been at odds with Weinstein Co (distributors for the movie) over the film, and that Dahan publicly complained last earlier that the company wanted changes made against his wishes. “…when you confront an American distributor like Weinstein, not to name names, there is not much you can do,” Olivier had told French newspaper, Liberation, at the time.

The movie has now been taken off the release calendar by The Weinstein Company, and they have not explained the decision. Earlier, it was also reported that Monaco’s royal family had criticised the script, saying it gives an inaccurate view of the late Princess Grace.

Despite repeated attempts, Uday, who is presently out of the country, could not be reached for a comment. However, Rafiq Gangjee, the official spokesperson of Yash Raj Films (YRF Entertainment is the banner under which Uday is co-producing the film) says, “The Weinstein Company is the US distributor, and they are in the process of deciding on an alternate release date that would best suit the film.”

- AP(With inputs from Shalvi Mangaokar)

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved