Raima Sen, who played the female lead in the dubbed Bengali release Anuranan
, feels the film would've been better off being subtitled in English rather than being dubbed in Hindi.
"There're a lot of people in Mumbai who were interested in Anuranan
. They'd have liked the film to be in Bengali. The dialogues sound very different in Hindi," Raima told IANS in an interview.
"Yes, I did dub in Hindi, but the non-Bengali viewers were confused with the Bengali ambience and mood being rendered into Hindi. Why have a Bengali film in Hindi when we watch films in French and Italian with subtitles?
"Now even Rituparno Ghosh is thinking of dubbing one of his films with me into Hindi. I'd never watch a dubbed regional or foreign-language film. You can't connect."
, Raima played Rajat Kapoor's wife. Rahul Bose and Rituparna Sen Gupta played another couple. "I'm now doing another marital drama with a female director. It's called Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye
. I'm game for any substantial role. I don't want to do a commercial film where I've nothing to do.
I had a smaller role than the other actors. But without my character this film wouldn't work. In Kolkata, when the film was released in Bengali people were convinced I could carry off roles that would've gone to my nani (Suchitra Sen) 50 years ago."
In the earlier part of her career, when she did Bengali films, Raima was advised to learn acting from her legendary grandmother. "That <b1>really upset me. But after Chokher Bali
people just started accepting me. I can never be like my grandmother. But at least, I can carry off roles like her. Now, although I'm so busy in Mumbai, I want to do one or two films in Bengali to carry forward my grandmother's legacy."
In Bollywood, after Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd
, Raima has been travelling on another path. "Earlier, I accepted roles that were less than the lead. You can't just sit at home not doing anything. Thankfully, after Honeymoon
... I'm getting leads only. Today, people accept different kinds of cinema, and the concept of leads has changed."
She's kicked about Madhureeta Anand's Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye
where she teams up with Randeep Hooda and Arbaaz Khan.
"I play this woman called Maya. It's about realising one's dreams, quite a female-oriented role. Randeep is such a fabulous actor. I think he was awesome in Darna Zaroori Hai
Raima has become a bit of an authority in female directors.
"I've done a lot of films with female directors before including two short-films with Ruchi Narain and Mira Nair."
For Nair, Raima has done the AIDS film Migration
. "For Ruchi I've done one of the film in a new omnibus called Mumbai 10
. It's a collection of 10 films on Mumbai. I think women directors are very sensitive to emotions. So is someone like Rituparno Ghosh. He's more a woman's director."
Raima has completed The Japanese Wife
with Aparna Sen. "I see that as a big leap forward for myself. I had to change my entire body language for this film. Aparna Sen told me I had to look like a widow who had been doing house work all her life. I had to do a workshop for that. I had to re-define my personality.
"I think Aparna is fabulous. The Japanese Wife
will take me to another level, just like Chokher Bali
in Bengali and Honeymoon
... in Hindi." Raima sweetly sulks against one of her favourite directors.
"Rituda (Ghosh) gives me supporting roles and bit parts. When it comes to the lead he goes to Aishwarya Rai and Bipasha Basu. He better give me the lead. Today, I can copy any director and give them exactly the performance I want. "Madhureeta keeps saying she gives me 80 percent outputs. The other 20 percent has to come from me."
For Raima life is looking upbeat. "I'm doing only one film at a time. And I'm getting the kind of roles I wanted. I'm completely focusing on my career. I'm not in a relationship right now. I'm very happily single. Not even looking for anyone. It's too stressful to be in a relationship when I'm working from 9 to 11. No worries about calls, SMS and what boyfriend is doing. Being a Scorpio, I'm very possessive and obsessive. So I'm better off without one."