Actor Sanjay Dutt, who has been convicted under the Arms Act for his role in the 1993 Mumbai bombings, said on Thursday that he would surrender when the time comes, and would not seek pardon.
Dutt, 53, held a press conference at his residence in Mumbai, speaking out for the first time since the Supreme Court ruling last week. He appealed to the media for privacy and broke down, saying, “I am a shattered man. My family is shattered, I only have a few days left, I want to finish my work and spend these days with my family. I have not asked for pardon. Thank you for supporting me.” He went on to say, “This a very, very tough time. Just let me be in peace till I go in.” He was accompanied at the meet by his sister and Congress MP, Priya Dutt.
While the likes of Justice Markandey Katju, actor-politicians Jaya Bachchan and Shatrughan Sinha sought pardon for him, the actor said, “...When I am not going for pardon, there is no debate.” He explained that there are many others who needed pardon.
An emotional Dutt added he had the highest respect for the court. “I will abide by the conditions that have been put on me by Supreme Court. I will surrender on time.” Dutt has been sentenced to five years in jail, of which he has already completed 18 months, and has another three-and-a-half years to go.
He said he would be completing his work commitments before he surrenders, for which the court has given him four weeks’ time. Meanwhile, most of Bollywood and political bigwigs continue to support him. - Agencies
Rs 150 cr at stake
Around Rs 150 crore is riding on Dutt’s current projects — Policegiri, Zanjeer, Peekay and Ungli. But the filmmakers helming these projects are standing by Dutt.
“Sanju sir dubs today, what a man, even with all his problems he cares for the film. He will always be The Sanjay Dutt,” Zanjeer director Apoorva Lakhia tweeted on Thursday.